Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Jordan Effect

There is an over-arching theme that exists in the NBA, and it is what I view as the opposite of the Jordan Effect.

Let me explain: I feel like, in the past, (and currently) marquee players, like (younger) Shaq and Michael Jordan and all those guys, they got away with everything. There's still players that do. This is just my opinion, but they don't give LeBron calls that marquee players get. . .

(I will admit that sometimes he gets calls, but those are the exception).

Anyway, they call fouls against him (like the end of the Pacers game). That would have never happen to MJ. Could you imagine the uproar if they called Michael Jordan for a push off before he hit the shot of Craig Ehlo? (Go back and watch it, you'll see what I mean).

It's almost like they are trying to say, "Look! See! We're not playing favorites," and they achieve this by LeBron getting very few favorable calls. Its like they are trying to make an example to show that they don't give preferential treatment. And I woulnd't even care if I didn't feel like marquee players are still getting those favorable calls, but LBJ does not. All I am saying is that it is my observation.

I certainly hope I don't catch a $25,000 fine like Mike Brown did for his comments.

I suppose that none of this will matter if the Cavs win the championship.

1 comment:

hello said...

I was thinking about writing on this. Agreed.

As much as I harp on what I think is the biggest flaw in the NBA (too many fouls), I think the playoffs are going to be tough because the refs are going to swallow their whistles. Remember that Washington series where they were straight mugging Lebron the whole time? Same with the Celtics last year.

I just hope it does not force Lebron to shoot jumpers because we all know what that leads to.